1. Our partners are giving
Last week we brought your news of some of the community initiatives that have begun in positive response to events, and now we wanted to share how our sponsors are making a bettering impact in their communities.
– RBC has committed an initial $2-million in support of COVID-19 community response efforts. As a first step, RBC will be donating funds to respond to community needs in Canada, the U.S. and globally to charitable partners including Food Banks Canada; Feeding America and The World Health Organization’s Covid-19 Solidarity Response Fund. RBC has also set up a special covid relief page for clients.
– Helijet is offering free flights to British Columbia’s health care responders, as well as elevating their procedures and sanitation processes further than ever.
– Clif Bar are donating 6.6 million Clif bars to front line workers and encouraging people to join in the effort with the #feedthefight campaign.
– Jakroo are hosting an giveaway contest where you could win a jersey + bibs custom kit (with your design) by uploading a photo to instagram sharing your safe, indoor or social distanced workout. Full details here (ends April 30th)
– The St. Regis Hotel are temporarily closing their doors as of March 27th. Support our founding partner and local Vancouver business as and if you can when by booking your stay with them when they re-open in the future.
– Red Truck have set up a temporary food truck at their location at 295 E 1st Ave, Vancouver, which is open for take out from 11-7 every day, including their off-sales retail store for ice cold refreshment.
– Volvo remain open for business, with stringent cleaning measures put in place, as well as Customer Care (open 24/7) and Retailer Support teams continuing to function normally, including roadside assistance.
– Trek Bikes have a great article online about how to get into online cycling, as well as extending free home shipping to all our American friends.
– Subway are remaining open for takeout, delivery and pickup, as well as increasing their deep clean processes to every hour.
– And it’s business as usual for Tradable Bits, whose online marketing tools remain fully supported by a staff workforce working for you from home.
PS: Duer – makers of those rather great cycling-ready jeans are offering RBC GranFondo Whistler subscribers an exclusive 20% off code valid until April 23. Simply use code GFxDUER20 at checkout – plus all Canadian orders are shipped for free.
2. More classic YouTube because: the internet
Enough of you decided that the classic YouTube corner wasn’t a terrible thing and so we have another dose of internet links for your entertainment.
Kicking things off as if nothing had changed at all, we take you back to 1991 where favourites Coors Lite Racing were preparing to defend their points lead over a young Alex Steida at the 19th annual Gastown Grand Prix. But then things went somewhat off plan when a certain American decided to turn up…
Cycling isn’t all about winning at all costs though. Try to pick your jaw up from the floor after digesting some of Vittorio Brumotti’s road bike handling skills. You might think cycling sometimes focuses too much on the fast guys, so we’ve got for you a day in the life of those lesser-lauded folk, but arguably just as important to success: the pro bike mechanic. Think Michael Woods could ride as fast if his bike was not tuned to perfection every single day? Think again.
By now you’ve probably annoyed your spouse by complaining audibly about how much you miss group rides, club banter, cake stops and more. Luckily, you need never worry about them not getting it ever again. And if all else fails, at least the world has Peter Sagan.
We’ve been blown away by the response to our joint #IRideAlone campaign with Bicicletta. Since launching less than 10 days ago, #IRideAlone has generated over 40,000 views and turned our collective love for cycling into a powerful tool to encourage others to practice smart ways to help flatten the curve.
Check out the ongoing instagram story here, and post your own photo to join in the movement. Even the LAPD are geting involved!
Oh, and a word to the wise, if your community suggests and especially mandates not to go outside, take the photo beside your indoor trainer.
4. Whistler prices are frozen until August
As well as personal financial pressures, we know booking events is not high on your agenda right now, so we’ve decided to remove the next two price increase windows and keep early bird savings frozen until August 1st. Though this is a small change, we hope it goes some way to helping and giving back to everybody.
Our website will reflect these changes over the coming days.