- This is not an official “race”, but rather a self-paced ride.
- Helmets are mandatory. An approved cycling helmet is required. Cyclists must wear a certified cycling helmet with the chinstrap buckled at all times while riding on the course.
- Ride within the designated route. Ride safely and in control and single file whenever possible. Any cyclist who is deemed to be riding unsafely, discourteously or recklessly will be removed from the RBC GranFondo Whistler. Any riders found cycling outside the designated cycling lane for the RBC GranFondo Whistler will be automatically disqualified and pulled from the course on the spot.
- No outside support vehicles allowed along the course. Support vehicles and spectators are allowed in designated areas only. It is unsafe for spectators to stop at any other spot along the route.
- Emergency Vehicles ALWAYS have the right of way. If a rider encounters an emergency vehicle, the rider is to give way to the emergency vehicle by pulling over, stopping and dismounting.
- Display your event number at all times. All registered cyclists must wear their event number according to race instructions. Riders who fail to do so will not receive an official finish time.
- No unregistered individuals. Unregistered riders will not be allowed on course during the event.
- Participants are permitted to use standard road bicycles, hybrids, commuters or mountain bikes. If you are interested in participating using any vehicle other than the standard road bicycle, we require that you contact us no later than one month in advance of the event.
- No usage of headphones, personal stereos or cell phones while riding.
- RBC GranFondo Whistler riders under the age of 19 on race day must have their waiver signed by a parent or guardian at VeloSpoke in order to participate. Additionally, those under 19 on race day must ride with their parent or guardian throughout the course.
- Course closures: The finish line of the RBC GranFondo Whistler will close at 5:00pm. Riders who are travelling slower than 15 km/h will still be permitted to continue, but they must follow the rules of the road. (NOTE: Consideration will be given for the length of time it takes for all riders to pass through the start chute.) Some stoppages may occur along the course to facilitate vehicular traffic flow at intersections.
- No littering on course. Riders are to dispose of garbage in designated garbage bins only. Riders caught littering will be disqualified from the event.
- All riders are to obey traffic officers and course marshals. To disobey instructions from these individuals will result in disqualification from the ride.
- Public urination is not permitted. When nature calls, riders are asked to use portalets provided at Rest Stops.
Before riding with us, please watch our Safety Video to familiarize yourself on how to ride an RBC GranFondo event.
- Be familiar with British Columbia’s Rules of the Road. Riders will have a dedicated lane, but it is still advisable you familiarize yourself in BC’s cycling and road rules.
- Be aware of others around you and communicate well in advance while cycling. Use gestures in combination with verbal commands. Pass on the left only. It is recommended that cyclists advise others that they are about to pass – politely saying “on your left” upon approaching a rider usually does the trick. Ride with your head up. Look down the road not at the person in front of you.
- If you choose to stop while on course, signal to the riders behind and pull over safely. Our on-course support team (mechanics, ride marshals, medical staff) may ask you to indicate whether or not you need assistance. If you’re okay, then signal with a “thumbs-up” to say, “Everything’s good with me.”
- Maintain control and speed of your bike, even going downhill.
- Know your limits. Crashes can occur when inexperienced riders do not have bike-handling skills to make quick decisions in a pack.
- Always plan an escape route.
- Never overlap your wheels with another cyclist.
- Be respectful of other riders and help others when needed.
- The use of aerobars is strongly discouraged for the RBC GranFondo Whistler.