Dust off the classic
Revive that classic bike that got you into riding in the first place. Whether you’ve ridden the RBC GranFondo Whistler before or not, this is your chance to test your mental & physical endurance while proving that riding a new-school bike isn’t necessarily the best way of tackling an epic ride.
With your own dedicated classics corral, you’ll group together from the start and ride in style. Chapeau!
What's considered a classic bike?
All road-racing bikes built up to & including 1987, both with & without gears, such as those built in the late 19th or early 20th centuries. These bicycles most likely have a steel frame or an Alan type aluminium frame.
- More recent bikes with gears and derailleurs must have shift levers on the down tube of the frame; exceptions include pre-1980 non indexed bar-end gear shifters
- Brake cables must pass outside and over the handlebars (cables can pass inside the frame)
- Wheels must have at least 32 spokes laced to a low profile rim (20 mm depth or less); rims must be of either steel, aluminium or wood
- Both tubular tyres and clinchers with inner tubes are allowed
- Change of the gear ratios is allowed due to the difficulty of the ride.
These were the days
Got a few minutes? Get on your big ring and take a dip into the classics archives.
The classic category will take place on the Gran Fondo course.
Date: Sat Sept 8, 2018
Distance: 122km / 76 mi
Start: Stanley Park, Vancouver
Finish: Whistler Village, Whistler
Elevation: 1900m / 6200 ft
Rest Stops: 5
Start time: 7am
The 2018 swag
Back by popular demand for 2018, RBC GranFondo Whistler socks! Provided by helpforme.
You’re swag bag also includes:
- RBC GranFondo Whistler medal
- Herschel Supply Co travel kit
- RBC GranFondo Whistler waterbottle
- Safetti cinch bag
- Waterproof cellphone bag provided by helpforme
- McSweeney’s beef jerky
- neuenergy tablets
- More surprises
- And of course the 2018 socks!
|Pricing||Opening weekend||Sep 11 to Jan 31||Jan 31 to
|Apr 4 to
|Jun 27 to
|Aug 2 to
Sept 4 (6am)
|St.Regis Cup 122km||$225||$250||$260||$270||$280||$290|
|Youth (Under 19)||$50||$50||$50||$50||$50||$50|
Prices are in CAD and change at 2pm PT unless stated
Legs of steel
The classics category is a throwback to tougher days. The bikes were heavier, the cigarettes more numerous, and an air of glamour could be felt all around.
Emulate Hinault, Coppi and Indurain. Ride RBC GranFondo Whistler on your vintage stallion and bring the guttural glory of the past to the present day.