The classic category will take place on the Gran Fondo course.
Date: Sat Sept 12, 2020
Distance: 122km / 76 mi
Start: Stanley Park, Vancouver
Finish: Whistler Village, Whistler
Elevation: 1900m / 6200 ft
Rest Stops: 5
Start time: 7am
Dust off the classic
Revive that classic bike that got you into riding in the first place. Whether you’ve ridden the RBC GranFondo Whistler before or not, this is your chance to test your mental & physical endurance while proving that riding a new-school bike isn’t necessarily the best way of tackling an epic ride.
With your own dedicated classics corral, you’ll group together from the start and ride in style. Chapeau!
What's considered a classic bike?
All road-racing bikes built up to & including 1987, both with & without gears, such as those built in the late 19th or early 20th centuries. These bicycles most likely have a steel frame or an Alan type aluminium frame.
- More recent bikes with gears and derailleurs must have shift levers on the down tube of the frame; exceptions include pre-1980 non indexed bar-end gear shifters
- Brake cables must pass outside and over the handlebars (cables can pass inside the frame)
- Wheels must have at least 32 spokes laced to a low profile rim (20 mm depth or less); rims must be of either steel, aluminium or wood
- Both tubular tyres and clinchers with inner tubes are allowed
- Change of the gear ratios is allowed due to the difficulty of the ride.
Watch: GCN had a peek at Steida’s classic bike at RBC GranFondo Whistler
These were the days
Got a few minutes? Get on your big ring and take a dip into the classics archives.
2020 online registration
|Pricing||Sep 11 to Jan 29||Jan 29 to
|Apr 16 to
|Jun 25 to
|Aug 1 to
Sept 3 (9am)
|Youth (Under 23)||$50||$50||$50||$50||$50|
|Classic Bikes 122km||$285||$300||$310||$320||$330|
|Forte||Back in 2021||Back in 2021||Back in 2021||Back in 2021||Back in 2021|
Prices are in CAD and change at 23:59 PT unless stated
Legs of steel
The classics category is a throwback to tougher days. The bikes were heavier, the cigarettes more numerous, and an air of glamour could be felt all around.
Emulate Hinault, Coppi and Indurain. Ride RBC GranFondo Whistler on your vintage stallion and bring the guttural glory of the past to the present day.